Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Frauenklinik Dr. Geisenhofer

The hospital that I delivered Gideon at is in the middle of the English Garden in Munich. This is basically like the Central Park of Munich (but it is actually bigger than Central Park). The hospital is lovely. It is a converted estate.
I took this the day that we left. Of course, it was raining but surprisingly had only rained once during my stay.
This is a picture from the hospital web site. It will give you some perspective. That is the city skyline of Munich in the background.
This was the back patio. It was lovely to go and sit with the baby and eat some cake. I didn't take this picture. It is from WikiCommons user Ahert.
This was the cafeteria. They had great cake. It leads out to the back patio. I would guess that this used to be a ballroom. I was really impressed by how much of the character of the old estate that they were able to keep. They built large glass wings on either side of the estate to house the more modern facilities. Throughout the hospital, there were many lovely statues and fountains outside.
This was my room #31. I had a roommate for the first few days. That was an interesting experience as she was a bit of a wreck. She was a nice lady though, but honestly, I was happy for the quiet once she left.

The nurses in the hospital were great. There were two nursing teams, one for me and one for the baby. As many of you know, Germany has socialized health care. Claron and I are on a public plan. I could have chosen a single room, but it would have cost about 100 Euro/day. I had a great experience with having Gideon in Germany. I thought my care was excellent. An interesting note though... the hospital didn't have air conditioning. Thankfully, it was beautiful Spring weather while I was there. I asked the nurses about it and I was told that air conditioning is "unhealthy."

1 comment:

Lin said...

Holy moly, this hospital is gorgeous! I love that you can sit out on the patio with your baby & relax.

Also, a/c is unhealthy? It's so funny how different things are in other countries.